1 On the Rocks, a personal and ongoing photography project by German photographer, Gunnar Knechtel, looking at homes built out of caves formed by lava on the Canary Island of Tenerife. Found here.
2 The Canadian beach that looks like it should be in Mexico. Port Dover Beach is a popular spot along the coast of Lake Erie, just two hours away from Toronto by car. Its shore is lined with a gorgeous set of palm trees that give the area a Cancun-type vibe. Found here.
3. This is what the leaning tower of Pisa looks like inside. Totally empty! Read more here.
4. Tokyo’s curious fruit sandwich trend. Japanese fruit sandwich store in Tokyo explodes in popularity, includes rare, expensive varieties. Found on Sora News.
5. Sand sculptures by Augustine Lynas. More found here.
6 Boat captain finds message in a bottle from 1926! Boat captain Jennifer Dowker was cleaning her boat’s hull when she found this green bottle with a message inside: “Will the person who finds this bottle return this paper to George Morrow, Cheboygan, Michigan and tell them where if was found?” After sharing it on a Facebook page, it went viral and the family of the mysterious George Morrow was found. Read the full story here.
7. Once upon a time, you could ride a train right through the orange groves in Southern California. The Super Chief was one of the named passenger trains and the flagship of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The streamliner claimed to be “The Train of the Stars” because of the various celebrities it carried between Chicago, Illinois, and Los Angeles, California. Florida had one too: The Orange Blossom Special, between New York City and Miami. Found here.
8 Crotalaria cunninghamii “Green Bird ” plant. It grows in the north of Western Australia, and in Kings Park, Perth. Found here.
9. The ceiling of the Temple of Hathor at Dendera in Egypt, decorated with exquisite astronomical representations. It is one of the best-preserved temple complexes in Egypt. Found on Tumblr.
10 Treasured Islands by Peter Naldrett. British travellers looking at local getaways or staycations often overlook just how many islands our shores actually boast and this guide outlines 200 of the most intriguing – including the Orkneys, Lundy, Foulness in Essex and London’s Eel Pie – complete with useful travel link information. Buy from Amazon | Bookshop.
11 Prana Atzaro, the world’s most luxurious sailing yacht, with nine suites, an onboard spa with two masseuses on standby, and a team ready to plan any itinerary you’d like for your trip around Indonesia, all for just $87K a week! Found here.
12 Japan’s underwater postbox.